Ape Escape 3 is the third installment of the Ape Escape franchise, released on the PS2.
The story begins when Specter, the Pipo Monkey's Leader, finding a Monkey Helmet and hiring the human scientist Dr. Tomoki to aid him in his evil plans. They establish TV stations protected by the Freaky Monkey Five where they plan to broadcast TV shows worldwide. The television shows that are broadcast on every television put every human except the twins, Kei and Yumi, their aunt Aki, and Natalie into a mindless trance. When Natalie informs Kei and Yumi that Spike, Jimmy and the Professor were all infected by the television show, they go out to catch the monkeys and thwart Specter and Dr. Tomoki.
Their mission was to go to every movie set and capture all the monkeys there and destroy the satellite there. Kei and Yumi easily capture White Monkey, Blue Monkey, and Yellow Monkey. When they reach the TV Station where Pink Monkey is, Satoru and Sayaka's attempts to capture her fail and she escapes. They manage to capture Red Monkey afterwards.
When they reach Tomoki City, Tomoki challenges them to a battle in his giant Tomo-King robot. Tomoki, after being defeated by Kei and Yumi, and being humiliated by Specter, lets them take his rocket to space to defeat his former partner. Once they reach Specter's outer space base of operations: Space Station SARU-3, they capture all the monkeys and deactivate the movie sets on their way to Specter. When they reach Specter, he tells them his plan about how he will use his space station to cut the earth in half and keep half of it for the monkeys (leaving the other half, originally meant for Tomoki, to the humans). Afterwards he gets in his new King Gorillac Mech and tries to activate his plan. He is defeated and the two escape from the satellite, leaving Tomoki to give his life to deactivate the Twin Heavens. He survives. After Specter is defeated, Pink Monkey releases him and the rest of the Freaky Monkey Five, leaving them to be caught again in extremely similar missions. To complete the game one hundred percent, all the four hundred and forty-two monkeys have to be caught, all the time trials have to be completed with a gold time, and all the items, CDs, Video Tapes (except 28), Car Skins, Genie Dance tracks, books, etc. have to be bought. The game holds a total of four hundred and thirty-four monkeys if the secret code monkeys are not caught.
- Kei / Satoru is one of the two main playable protagonists of Ape Escape 3. He is a typical overconfident hothead, and he wants to stop Specter.
- Yumi / Sayaka is the first and only playable heroine in the main series, and is one of the two characters you can pick to play as and she wants to stop Specter.
- Aki is the aunt of Kei / Satoru and Yumi / Sayaka and acts as a guide for them, making a futuristic bracelet that allows the player to morph into any of 7 forms. She also holds a history with Dr. Tomoki, working with him at one point.
At the beginning of the game, you choose between Kei / Satoru and Yumi / Sayaka to play as, where your choice only determines whether some monkeys are attracted to you or not, as some are in Yumi's / Sayaka's "Fan club", and will be lovestruck at first sight. R1 and R2 are your jumping buttons, whereas the four face buttons are assigned gadgets and dictate which gadget you have equipped.
- Stun Club - "This gadget is used for standard attacks." Returning from previous games, this is one of the two gadgets you start out with, and one you will be using a majority of your playthrough. You tilt the Right Joystick in a direction to hit in that direction. See more
- Monkey Net - "This gadget is used for capturing monkeys." Also returning with a new name and being a starter gadget, the Monkey Net allows you to capture the conniving monkeys and is probably the most used gadget of them all. You spin the Right Joystick to move the net. See more
- Monkey Radar - "This gadget is used for locating monkeys." As the first gadget you obtain upon entering a level, it's two uses are to find monkeys' locations and to find out more about those monkeys. It is obtained as you enter Hide-n-Seek Forest / Hide-and-Seek Forest. You spin the Right Joystick or press L2 to view more information. See more
- Super Hoop - "This gadget allows you to run quickly." The Super Hoop is one of the fastest ways to travel in Ape Escape 3, only being rivaled by the Cyber Ace's mid-air dash. It is the most useful gadget to speedrunners or when you're performing the time trials. It is obtained as you enter The Big City / Life in the Big City. You spin the Right Joystick rapidly to activate the hoop and move the Left stick when activated to move faster. See more
- Slingback Shooter - "This gadget allows you to attack from far away." The slingback shooter is a slingshot that is used to either knock high-up monkeys down or as a long range weapon, along with being able to hit certain unreachable levers or switches. In the Shopping area or from Specter TV boxes, you can obtain two other types of ammunition for it. It is obtained as you enter Specter TV Studio / Thrilling TV Studio. You pull back the Right Joystick and release to fire a shot. See more
- RC Car - "This gadget can be remote-controlled."
- Sky Flyer - "This gadget is used for high-flying."
- Water Net - The Water Net is a strange gadget, as it is not equipped, but simply deployed automatically when the player enters water. It is obtained as you enter Bootown / Little Shop of Horrors. You move with the Left Joystick and tilt the Right Joystick to deploy a net, and pressing the Left Joystick in will make you dive, and pressing R1 or R2 after that causes you to rise.
See also. A new arrival for the Ape Escape series, morphing allows the player to change form and gain abilities not able to be gained via gadgets. These include stronger and more varied attacks, greater movement ability, and other, more specific abilities as well.
- Fantasy Knight - "This defensive morph has a powerful attack and wields a mighty shield."
- Wild West Kid - "This morph is good at long distance attacks."
- Miracle Ninja - "A nimble morph with a Doppelgànger ability."
- Genie Dancer - "This morph calls forth a dancing genie!"
- Dragon Kung Fu Fighter - "This morph is great for combo attacks."
- Cyber Ace - "This morph gives you an Electro-pulse Spark attack and a mid-air dash."
- Super Monkey - "This morph lets you befriend the monkeys and search for hidden rooms!"
|Mesal Gear Solid||Super Monkey Throw Stadium||Ultim-ape Fighter!|
| Name of Level
| Monkeys in Level (NTSC)
|TV Station||Ukki Pan|
|Seaside Resort||Nessal - Ukki Pia - Sarubo - Salurin - Ukkitan - Morella - Ukki Ben - Kankichi - Tomezo - Kamayan - Taizo|
|American : Hide-n-Seek Forest
European : Hide-and-Seek Forest
|Ukki Pon - Ukkian - Ukki Red - Rosalin - Salubon - Wolfmon - Ukiko - Lambymon - Kreemon - Ukkilei - Spork - King Goat - Marukichi - Kikimon - Kominato|
American : Saru-mon's Castle
European : Knight's Castle
|Ukkido - Pipo Guard - Monderella - Ukki~ichi - Ukkinee - Saru~mon - Monga - Ukkiton - King Leo - Ukkii - Saluto - King's Double - Mattsun - Miya - Mon~san - SAL~1000|
|Monkey White Battle!||Monkey White|
|American : The Big City
European : Life in the Big City
|Ukima - Monbolo - Pipo Mondy - Ukki Mattan - Bemucho - Ukki Nader - Sabu~sabu - Ginjiro - Kichiemon - Ukkilun - Bully~mon - Ukki Joe - Tamaki - Micky Oou - Sally Kokoroe - Monkey Manager - Supervisor Chimp - Boss Ape|
|American : Specter TV Studio European :Thrilling TV Studio||Ukki Yan - Ukkipuss - Minoh - Monta - Pipopam - Monpii Ukkichi - Gabimon - Bananamon - Mokinza - Ukki Lee Ukki - Ukkida Jiro - Sal Ukindo - Gimminey - Hant - Chippino - Ukki Paul - Sally Mon - Bonly - Monly|
|American : Bootown
European : Little shop of Horrors
|Monkichiro - Leomon - Uikkun - Take Ukita - Bonbon - Chichi - Ukkisuke - Chibi Sally - Ukkison - Saruhotep - Ukkito - Monzally - Ukkiami - Monjan - Nattchan - Kabochin - Ukki Mon - Mumpkin|
|American : Wild West Town
European : Wild West Village
|Morrey - Jomi - Tammy - Ukki Gigolo - Monboron - West Ukki - Lucky Woo - Pamela - Ukki Monber - Gaukichi - Shaluron - <br /> Jay Mohn - Munkee Joe - Saru Chison - Jaja Jamo - Chammy Mo - Golon Moe - Golozo - Ukkia Munbo - Mon Johny|
|Monkey Blue Battle!||Monkey Blue|
|American : The Hot Springs
European : Hot Springs for Good Health
|Chabimon - Saru Sam - Kiichiro - Tome~san - Michiyan - Ukki~ichiro - Ukki~emon - Moki - Ukimi - Domobeh - Sam~san - Donkichi - Minokichi - Tatabo - Kimisan - Michiro - Gen~san - Mujakin - Mihachin|
| American : Winterville
European : Frozen Fun
|Kimisuke - Konzo - Saburota - Mitsuro - Takuo - Konkichi - Fumikichi - Pipotron Yellow - Tamubeh - Kimikichi - Gonbeh - Shimmy - Mako - Miko - Tamio - Jeitan - Ukki~jii - Akki~bon - Kimi~chan - Sae~chan - Tassan - Tomokun|
| American : The Emperor's Castle
European : Shogun's Castle
|Pipo Tobi - Masan - Mohachi - Mon Ninpo - Yosio - Fatty McFats - Kikimaru - Tomoku~chan - Uziko - GP - Walter - Monkibeth - Babuzo - Fishy Feet - Pipo Torin - Tomi - Master Pan - Monchin Chi - Masachi - Golota - Kinsuke|
|Monkey Yellow Battle!||Monkey Yellow|
| American : Mount Amazing
European : Mishap Mountain
|Ukkichi - Chomon - Ukkido - Kyamio - Talupon - Bokitan - Tami - Micchino - Talurin - Occhimon - Mikkurin - Kicchino - Kimurin - Sakkano - Camino - Valuccha - Pisuke - Kansuke - Pohta - Keisuke|
| American : Toytown
European: Apes in Toyland
|Pikkori - TalUkki - Pinkino - Bon Mota - Bon Verna - Bon Papa - Bon Mama - Kalkin - Pakun - Ukki X - Mon Gareji - Shouji - Woo Makka - Monto - Mokitani - Namigo - Pipotron Red - Master Loafy - Golonero - Kocho - Tam Konta - Tam Mimiko - Tam Papa - Tam Mama|
| American : Arctic Wonderland
European : Antarctic Apeland
|Bikupuri - Ukkisu - Ukki Ami - Balio - Kimkon - Ukkina - Kushachin - Malikko - Bolikko - Iceymon - Mokkidon - Jolly~mon - Hikkori - Rammy - Monkino - Kyam - Kappino - Kris Krimon|
|Mirage Town||Scorpi~mon - Minimon - Moontero - Ukki Son - Ukki Jeff - Saru Maru - Genghis Mon - Cup~o~mon - Nijal - Apey Jones - Ukki Mamba - Golden Mon - Crazy 'ol Mon - Shamila - Tamiyanya - Salteenz - Dancing Mia - Miccho - Kisha - Gimuccho - Wojin - Princess Judy|
|Monkey Pink Battle!||Monkey Pink|
| American : Eversummer Island
European : Summer Island
|Ukki Mat - Salumani - Salulu - Baku - Salunch - Pincher~mon - Mong Popo - Mohcha - Kamcha - Bimocha - Gimchin - Kamaccha - Gyamu - Takumon - Ukki Ether - Tartan - Molzone - Chappio - Pomoah - Gucchai - Makaccho - Larry|
| American : Airplane Squadron
European : Formidable Fleet
|Romo - Temko - Ukkigawa - Mokkido - Pont - Gamish - Prince Bertus - Takmon - Chai Bunny - Mukita - Tamrai - Kemunpa - Pipotron Blue - Mabaras - Tamoos - Kimoto - Octavian - Samuel - Coril - Bont - Delly - Jeloh - Bongo|
| American : Kung-Fu Alley
European : Kung fu Street
|Dally - Nak Nayo - Donto Koi - Po Kin Ki - Ukki Chan - Uki Uki - Muki Muki - Shinchi - Doh Tsuitaro - Hi Uchi Ishi - Gala Waruo - Bassili Ukki - Canchi - Pikon - Bankan - Sukei - Giyan - Muchaki - Yoh Kitana - Goshi Andos - Pukuman - Block master - Tompo Wootan - Chechin - Hapcho - Bonmos - Dark Master - Teh Isu - Ponja|
|Monkey Red Battle!||Monkey Red|
| American : Midnight Bay
European : Midnight Bayside
|Nadamon - Patoya - Gumbo - Pehyan - Mokito - Pipo Kate - Samtan - Pokkine - Daban - Shiny Pete - Keiichi - Landon - McBreezy - Ronson - Gimo - Hiroshi - Nakabi - Mibon - Bololon - Gimi Gimi - Doemos - Kazuo - Pokkini - Jimo - Bokino - Makidon - Dogy - Gibdon - Buligie|
| American : Tomoki City
European : Tomuki City
|Kichibeh - Bonchicchi - Mikibon - DJ Tamo - Ukkinaka - Ukkine - Pon Jiro - Chimpy - Kajitan - Uka Uka - Mil Mil - Taimon - Goro~san - Reiji - Ponta - Tomio - Gario - DJ Pari - Mitsuo - Riley - Pipo Ron - Mikita - SAL~13 - SAL~12 - Tomu - Breadacus - Ukkigoro - Ukiji - Tomimon|
|American : Dr. Tomoki Battle
European : Dr. Tomuki Battle
|Dr. Tomoki / None|
| American : Space-TV Fortress
European : TV Space Station
|Poko - Gamuo - Mukikko - Moto Ukki - Jimi Jami - Genbo - Twin Mitty - Uttey - Emma - Dokicchi - Kamicchi - Ukki Monda - Porokko - Zonelin - Tamano - Nelson - Koloneh - Miluchy - Robert - Fronson - Demekin - Kikuyoshi - Freet - Chico - Gamurin - Pipo Mon - Gam Gam - Doronbo - Benja - Macchan - Rokkun - Ukki Love - Momongo - Moepi - Pumon - Makiban - Upis - Mondatta - Gicchom - Barire - SAL~10 - SAL~11 - SAL~3000|
|Specter's Final Battle!||Specter|
- The engine on the train is a 4-4-0 engine or an American type steam locomotive, which was the most common wheel arrangement for steam trains, which were used most common on American railroads during the 1800s and 1830s until 1928 and were given the name "American" in 1872 to show all the work done on every railroad in the United States. These types of engines have eight wheels (four leading wheels, four driving wheels, and no trailing wheels).
|Characters||Casi · Jake · Natalie · Professor · Specter · Spike|
|Gadgets||Dash Hoop · Magic Punch · Monkey Radar · R.C. Car · Sky Flyer · Slingback Shooter · Stun Club · Time Net · Water Net|
| || |
|Prehistoric Era/ The Lost Land||Fossil Field · Primordial Ooze · Molten Lava|
|Cenozoic Era/ Mysterious Age||Thick Jungle · Dark Ruins · Cryptic Relics|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Stadium Attack|
|Primitive Age/Oceana||Crabby beach · Coral Cave · Dexter's Island|
|Ice age/New Freezeland||Snowy Mammoth · Frosty Retreat · Hot Springs|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Gladiator Attack|
|Recent Past/Medieval Mayhem||Sushi Temple · Wabi Sabi Wall · Crumbling Castle|
|Present-Day/Futurama||City Park · Specter's Factory · TV Tower|
|Present-Day 2/Specter Land||Monkey Madness|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Peak Point Matrix|