The story begins when Specter, the Pipo Monkey's Leader, finding a Monkey Helmet and hiring the human scientist Dr. Tomoki to aid him in his evil plans. They establish TV stations protected by the Freaky Monkey Five where they plan to broadcast TV shows worldwide. The television shows that are broadcast on every television put every human on the planet except for the twins Kei, Yumi, their aunt Aki, and Natalie into a mindless trance. When Natalie informs Kei and Yumi that Spike, Jimmy and the Professor were all infected by the television show, they go out to catch the monkeys and thwart Specter and Dr. Tomoki.
Their mission was to go to every movie set and capture all the monkeys there and destroy the satellite there. Kei and Yumi easily capture White Monkey, Blue Monkey, and Yellow Monkey. When they reach the TV Station where Pink Monkey is, Kei and Yumi's attempts to capture her fail and she escapes. They manage to capture Red Monkey afterwards.
When they reach Tomoki City, Tomoki challenges them to a battle in his giant Tomo-King robot. Tomoki, after being defeated by Kei and Yumi, and being humiliated by Specter, lets them take his rocket to space to defeat his former partner. Once they reach Specter's outer space base of operations: Space Station SARU-3, they capture all the monkeys and deactivate the movie sets on their way to Specter. When they reach Specter, he tells them his plan about how he will use his space station to cut the earth in half and keep half of it for the monkeys (leaving the other half, originally meant for Tomoki, to the humans). However, he is unaware that it will end up destroying the planet. Afterwards he gets in his new King Gorillac Mech and tries to activate his plan. After they defeat and capture Specter, Dr. Tomoki reminds the twins that the Chop Rocket is still on a crash course to Earth. Dr. Tomoki gives Kei and Yumi a rocket to escape from the satellite, leaving Tomoki to sacrifice himself to deactivate the Twin Heavens. During the credits, it is revealed that he survived by unknown means.
Shortly after Specter is defeated however, Pink Monkey releases him and the rest of the Freaky Monkey Five, leaving them to be caught again in extremely similar missions. Kei and Yumi then proceeds to capture the Freaky Monkey Five, and all of the remaining monkeys they had missed. After capturing them all, Aki discovers that Space Station SARU-003 wasn't completely destroyed and that Specter's is hiding there. Upon arriving, they find Specter is strangely turning himself in. Yumi falls for Specter's lie, which leads to them getting captured. However, Kei and Yumi were able to escape, beat Specter, and capture him once and for all. Afterwards, they two twins go home and get ready to go to school.
- Kei/Satoru is one of the two main playable protagonists of Ape Escape 3. He is a typical overconfident hothead, and he wants to stop Specter.
- Yumi/Sayaka is the first and only playable heroine in the main series, and is one of the two characters you can pick to play as and she wants to stop Specter.
- Aki is the aunt of Kei and Yumi and acts as a guide for them. She makes a futuristic bracelet that allows the twins to morph into any of 7 forms. She also holds a history with Dr. Tomoki, working with him at one point.
At the beginning of the game, you choose between Kei or Yumi to play as, where your choice only determines whether some monkeys are attracted to you or not, as some are in Yumi's "Fan club", and will be lovestruck at first sight. R1 and R2 are your jumping buttons, whereas the four face buttons are assigned gadgets and dictate which gadget you have equipped.
- Stun Club- "This gadget is used for standard attacks." Returning from previous games, this is one of the two gadgets you start out with, and one you will be using a majority of your playthrough. You tilt the Right Joystick in a direction to hit in that direction.
- Monkey Net- "This gadget is used for capturing monkeys." Also returning with a new name and being a starter gadget, the Monkey Net allows you to capture the conniving monkeys and is probably the most used gadget of them all. You spin the Right Joystick to move the net.
- Monkey Radar- "This gadget is used for locating monkeys." As the first gadget you obtain upon entering a level, it's two uses are to find monkeys' locations and to find out more about those monkeys. It is obtained as you enter Hide-n-Seek Forest/Hide-and-Seek Forest. You spin the Right Joystick or press L2 to view more information.
- Super Hoop- "This gadget allows you to run quickly." The Super Hoop is one of the fastest ways to travel in Ape Escape 3, only being rivaled by the Cyber Ace's mid-air dash. It is the most useful gadget to speedrunners or when you're performing the time trials. It is obtained as you enter The Big City/Life in the Big City. You spin the Right Joystick rapidly to activate the hoop and move the Left stick when activated to move faster.
- Slingback Shooter- "This gadget allows you to attack from far away." The slingback shooter is a slingshot that is used to either knock high-up monkeys down or as a long range weapon, along with being able to hit certain unreachable levers or switches. In the Shopping area or from Specter TV boxes, you can obtain two other types of ammunition for it. It is obtained as you enter Specter TV Studio/Thrilling TV Studio. You pull back the Right Joystick and release to fire a shot.
- Water Net- The Water Net is a strange gadget, as it is not equipped, but simply deployed automatically when the player enters water. It is obtained as you enter Bootown/Little Shop of Horrors. You move with the Left Joystick and tilt the Right Joystick to deploy a net, and pressing the Left Joystick in will make you dive, and pressing R1 or R2 after that causes you to rise.
- R.C. Car- "This gadget can be remote-controlled." The R.C. Car can scare monkeys cowering in certain spots, collect coins from afar, activate floor switches, and deal damage to enemies. There are different styles for the R.C. Car in the Hobby Shop. It is obtained as you enter The Hot Springs/Hot Springs for Good Health
- Sky Flyer- "This gadget is used for high-flying." It is used to reach high places that Kei or Yumi couldn't before. It is obtained as you enter Mount Amazing/Mishap Mountain.
A new arrival for the Ape Escape series, Morphs allows the player to change form and gain abilities not able to be gained via gadgets. These include stronger and more varied attacks, greater movement ability, and other, more specific abilities as well.
- Fantasy Knight- "This defensive morph has a powerful attack and wields a mighty shield."
- Wild West Kid- "This morph is good at long distance attacks."
- Miracle Ninja- "A nimble morph with a Doppelgànger ability."
- Genie Dancer- "This morph calls forth a dancing genie!"
- Dragon Kung Fu Fighter- "This morph is great for combo attacks."
- Cyber Ace- "This morph gives you an Electro-pulse Spark attack and a mid-air dash."
- Super Monkey- "This morph lets you befriend the monkeys and search for hidden rooms!"
|Mesal Gear Solid||Super Monkey Throw Stadium||Ultim-ape Fighter!|
| Name of Level
| Monkeys in Level (NTSC)
|TV Station||Ukki Pan|
|Seaside Resort||Nessal - Ukki Pia - Sarubo - Salurin - Ukkitan - Morella - Ukki Ben - Kankichi - Tomezo - Kamayan - Taizo|
|American : Hide-n-Seek Forest
European : Hide-and-Seek Forest
|Ukki Pon - Ukkian - Ukki Red - Rosalin - Salubon - Wolfmon - Ukiko - Lambymon - Kreemon - Ukkilei - Spork - King Goat - Marukichi - Kikimon - Kominato|
American : Saru-mon's Castle
European : Knight's Castle
|Ukkido - Pipo Guard - Monderella - Ukki~ichi - Ukkinee - Saru~mon - Monga - Ukkiton - King Leo - Ukkii - Saluto - King's Double - Mattsun - Miya - Mon~san - SAL~1000|
|Monkey White Battle!||Monkey White|
|American : The Big City
European : Life in the Big City
|Ukima - Monbolo - Pipo Mondy - Ukki Mattan - Bemucho - Ukki Nader - Sabu~sabu - Ginjiro - Kichiemon - Ukkilun - Bully~mon - Ukki Joe - Tamaki - Micky Oou - Sally Kokoroe - Monkey Manager - Supervisor Chimp - Boss Ape|
|American : Specter TV Studio European :Thrilling TV Studio||Ukki Yan - Ukkipuss - Minoh - Monta - Pipopam - Monpii Ukkichi - Gabimon - Bananamon - Mokinza - Ukki Lee Ukki - Ukkida Jiro - Sal Ukindo - Gimminey - Hant - Chippino - Ukki Paul - Sally Mon - Bonly - Monly|
|American : Bootown
European : Little Shop of Horrors
|Monkichiro - Leomon - Uikkun - Take Ukita - Bonbon - Chichi - Ukkisuke - Chibi Sally - Ukkison - Saruhotep - Ukkito - Monzally - Ukkiami - Monjan - Nattchan - Kabochin - Ukki Mon - Mumpkin|
|American : Wild West Town
European : Wild West Village
|Morrey - Jomi - Tammy - Ukki Gigolo - Monboron - West Ukki - Lucky Woo - Pamela - Ukki Monber - Gaukichi - Shaluron - <br /> Jay Mohn - Munkee Joe - Saru Chison - Jaja Jamo - Chammy Mo - Golon Moe - Golozo - Ukkia Munbo - Mon Johny|
|Monkey Blue Battle!||Monkey Blue|
|American : The Hot Springs
European : Hot Springs for Good Health
|Chabimon - Saru Sam - Kiichiro - Tome~san - Michiyan - Ukki~ichiro - Ukki~emon - Moki - Ukimi - Domobeh - Sam~san - Donkichi - Minokichi - Tatabo - Kimisan - Michiro - Gen~san - Mujakin - Mihachin|
| American : Winterville
European : Frozen Fun
|Kimisuke - Konzo - Saburota - Mitsuro - Takuo - Konkichi - Fumikichi - Pipotron Yellow - Tamubeh - Kimikichi - Gonbeh - Shimmy - Mako - Miko - Tamio - Jeitan - Ukki~jii - Akki~bon - Kimi~chan - Sae~chan - Tassan - Tomokun|
| American : The Emperor's Castle
European : Shogun's Castle
|Pipo Tobi - Masan - Mohachi - Mon Ninpo - Yosio - Fatty McFats - Kikimaru - Tomoku~chan - Uziko - GP - Walter - Monkibeth - Babuzo - Fishy Feet - Pipo Torin - Tomi - Master Pan - Monchin Chi - Masachi - Golota - Kinsuke|
|Monkey Yellow Battle!||Monkey Yellow|
| American : Mount Amazing
European : Mishap Mountain
|Ukkichi - Chomon - Ukkido - Kyamio - Talupon - Bokitan - Tami - Micchino - Talurin - Occhimon - Mikkurin - Kicchino - Kimurin - Sakkano - Camino - Valuccha - Pisuke - Kansuke - Pohta - Keisuke|
| American : Toytown
European: Apes in Toyland
|Pikkori - TalUkki - Pinkino - Bon Mota - Bon Verna - Bon Papa - Bon Mama - Kalkin - Pakun - Ukki X - Mon Gareji - Shouji - Woo Makka - Monto - Mokitani - Namigo - Pipotron Red - Master Loafy - Golonero - Kocho - Tam Konta - Tam Mimiko - Tam Papa - Tam Mama|
| American : Arctic Wonderland
European : Antarctic Apeland
|Bikupuri - Ukkisu - Ukki Ami - Balio - Kimkon - Ukkina - Kushachin - Malikko - Bolikko - Iceymon - Mokkidon - Jolly~mon - Hikkori - Rammy - Monkino - Kyam - Kappino - Kris Krimon|
|Mirage Town||Scorpi~mon - Minimon - Moontero - Ukki Son - Ukki Jeff - Saru Maru - Genghis Mon - Cup~o~mon - Nijal - Apey Jones - Ukki Mamba - Golden Mon - Crazy 'ol Mon - Shamila - Tamiyanya - Salteenz - Dancing Mia - Miccho - Kisha - Gimuccho - Wojin - Princess Judy|
|Monkey Pink Battle!||Monkey Pink|
| American : Eversummer Island
European : Summer Island
|Ukki Mat - Salumani - Salulu - Baku - Salunch - Pincher~mon - Mong Popo - Mohcha - Kamcha - Bimocha - Gimchin - Kamaccha - Gyamu - Takumon - Ukki Ether - Tartan - Molzone - Chappio - Pomoah - Gucchai - Makaccho - Larry|
| American : Airplane Squadron
European : Formidable Fleet
|Romo - Temko - Ukkigawa - Mokkido - Pont - Gamish - Prince Bertus - Takmon - Chai Bunny - Mukita - Tamrai - Kemunpa - Pipotron Blue - Mabaras - Tamoos - Kimoto - Octavian - Samuel - Coril - Bont - Delly - Jeloh - Bongo|
| American : Kung-Fu Alley
European : Kung fu Street
|Dally - Nak Nayo - Donto Koi - Po Kin Ki - Ukki Chan - Uki Uki - Muki Muki - Shinchi - Doh Tsuitaro - Hi Uchi Ishi - Gala Waruo - Bassili Ukki - Canchi - Pikon - Bankan - Sukei - Giyan - Muchaki - Yoh Kitana - Goshi Andos - Pukuman - Block master - Tompo Wootan - Chechin - Hapcho - Bonmos - Dark Master - Teh Isu - Ponja|
|Monkey Red Battle!||Monkey Red|
| American : Midnight Bay
European : Midnight Bayside
|Nadamon - Patoya - Gumbo - Pehyan - Mokito - Pipo Kate - Samtan - Pokkine - Daban - Shiny Pete - Keiichi - Landon - McBreezy - Ronson - Gimo - Hiroshi - Nakabi - Mibon - Bololon - Gimi Gimi - Doemos - Kazuo - Pokkini - Jimo - Bokino - Makidon - Dogy - Gibdon - Buligie|
| American : Tomoki City
European : Tomuki City
|Kichibeh - Bonchicchi - Mikibon - DJ Tamo - Ukkinaka - Ukkine - Pon Jiro - Chimpy - Kajitan - Uka Uka - Mil Mil - Taimon - Goro~san - Reiji - Ponta - Tomio - Gario - DJ Pari - Mitsuo - Riley - Pipo Ron - Mikita - SAL~13 - SAL~12 - Tomu - Breadacus - Ukkigoro - Ukiji - Tomimon|
|American : Dr. Tomoki Battle
European : Dr. Tomuki Battle
| American : Space-TV Fortress
European : TV Space Station
|Poko - Gamuo - Mukikko - Moto Ukki - Jimi Jami - Genbo - Twin Mitty - Uttey - Emma - Dokicchi - Kamicchi - Ukki Monda - Porokko - Zonelin - Tamano - Nelson - Koloneh - Miluchy - Robert - Fronson - Demekin - Kikuyoshi - Freet - Chico - Gamurin - Pipo Mon - Gam Gam - Doronbo - Benja - Macchan - Rokkun - Ukki Love - Momongo - Moepi - Pumon - Makiban - Upis - Mondatta - Gicchom - Barire - SAL~10 - SAL~11 - SAL~3000|
|Specter's Final Battle!||Specter|
In Ape Escape 3, on the main menu, if players hold down L1, L2, R1, and R2 and press start, a secret password menu appears, which allows players to input passwords for rewards. On the Japanese version, all passwords must be input in Hiragana, even if the words they spell are meant to be written with Katakana or Kanji.
|00798001||urasgrobyc||SAL-1000 (in Saru-mon's Castle)|
|33483264||bkvisitor||Dark Master (in Kung-Fu Alley)|
|83005415||?||Pipotron Red (in Toytown)|
|23509391||?||Pipotron Blue (in Airplane Squadron)|
|11228368||?||Pipotron Yellow (in Winterville)|
|2nd man||2nd man||ふたりめのおとこ
|34076466||2ndman||Shimmy (in Winterville)|
|37459551||urasekips||Spork (in Hide-n-Seek Forest)|
|50462522||?||SAL-3000 / Ape Ratchet
(in Space-TV Fortress)
|04077472||?||Mesal Gear Solid|
|72396504||?||Super Monkey Throw Stadium|
|2 snakes||2 snakes||ふたりのすねーく
|87797030||?||Tape "The Two Snakes" and Files "At
Fort Alaska" + "Sons of Liberty"
|64061629||?||Tape 30 "Special Movie!"|
|99876650||?||Tape 29 "Mystery Movie"|
|47411515||?||9999 Gotcha Coins|
|48690278||?||All 8 Gadgets|
|89770823||?||All 7 Morphs|
Voice Actors Edit
|Role||American Voice Actor||European Voice Actor||Japanese Voice Actor|
|Kei||Hope Levy||Richard Pearce||Junko Takeuchi|
|Yumi||Anndi McAfee||Maria Darling||Ai Nonaka|
|Aki||Julie Nathanson||Maria Darling||Sayaka Ohara|
|Natalie||Amber Hood||Rachel Preece||Tomoko Kawami|
|Specter||Charlie Schlatter||Mark Silk||Chika Sakamoto|
|Dr. Tomoki||Nolan North||Keith Wickham||Keiji Fujiwara|
|Monkey White||Phil Proctor||Mark Silk||Kenichi Ogata|
|Monkey Blue||Michael Gough||Simon Greenall||Takahiro Sakurai|
|Monkey Yellow||Steven Jay Blum||David Holt||Shoto Kashii|
|Monkey Pink||Debi Derryberry||Rachel Preece||Miyuki Matsushita|
|Monkey Red||Greg Berger||Jonathan Keeble||Daisuke Gori|
|America||Ape Escape 3|
|Europe||Ape Escape 3|
|Korea||삐뽀사루겟츄 3||Piposarugechu 3|
|China||捉猴啦3||Catching a Monkey 3|
- This is the first main Ape Escape title where no new Gadgets appear.
- This is also the first main Ape Escape title where the Magic Punch is missing.
- The passwords "grobyc" and "るさぐーぼいさ" are both Cyborg backwards. (さいぼーぐさる "saibōgu saru" can roughly translate to "Cyborg Monkey"). Along with this, "krops", "urekak", and "るさるけか" are the name of the monkey they spawn, backwards. (かけるさる "kakeru saru" translates to "Kakeru monkey")
- Tape 29, "Mystery Movie" is obtainable through the Music Shop and a password, but Tape 30, "Special Movie!" is only unlockable via password.
- In the Japanese version, most every piece of concept art has japanese text on it, however, all of the text present was removed in localization.
- This is the last main Ape Escape title on the PlayStation 2, and in the series.
|Characters||Casi · Jake · Natalie · Professor · Specter · Spike|
|Gadgets||Dash Hoop · Magic Punch · Monkey Radar · R.C. Car · Sky Flyer · Slingback Shooter · Stun Club · Time Net · Water Net|
| || |
|Prehistoric Era/ The Lost Land||Fossil Field · Primordial Ooze · Molten Lava|
|Cenozoic Era/ Mysterious Age||Thick Jungle · Dark Ruins · Cryptic Relics|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Stadium Attack|
|Primitive Age/Oceana||Crabby beach · Coral Cave · Dexter's Island|
|Ice age/New Freezeland||Snowy Mammoth · Frosty Retreat · Hot Springs|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Gladiator Attack|
|Recent Past/Medieval Mayhem||Sushi Temple · Wabi Sabi Wall · Crumbling Castle|
|Present-Day/Futurama||City Park · Specter's Factory · TV Tower|
|Present-Day 2/Specter Land||Monkey Madness|
|Dimension/Dimension X||Peak Point Matrix|